I am not a kid anymore.
I am not a kid anymore.
I am not a kid anymore.
Now if only I could get that concept through my head when it comes to taking on leadership positions.
----
Let me back up …
The church I attend has a WMU (Women’s Missionary Union) group. There are 5 faithful attendees (including the leader). {I have several theories as to why that is, but I won’t go into that.} Anyway, the WMU leader has been in charge for many years; however, she and her husband are moving 2 states away. So there is a vacancy for a WMU president.
At home, I (jokingly) call our once-a-month meetings “The 70+ Club” because 3 out of the 5 people who go fit into that age range. I guess I could call it the 50+ club because that would encompass everyone except yours truly.
About three months ago, our president announced that she would be moving and that we should start praying for someone to take over her responsibilities. The other 3 ladies were just distraught because none of them had the time/were in good enough health to take over her job, but the idea of seeing this ministry die was just heartbreaking.
So I started praying and it was then that I felt like an invitation was extended. It wasn’t a command to do it, but more of an invitation. So my prayers changed from Lord, please send someone. to Lord, do you want ME to do this????
My initial reaction to this invitation – God, you know I’m a “behind the scenes” kind of person. Are you sure you want to invite ME to do this? Surely there’s someone else more qualified.
Up to this point, I hadn’t said anything to my parents about the fact that I was even praying about taking over WMU. One evening, my dad and I were talking and the conversation went something like this ~
Me: “It would hurt so bad to see WMU just die at our church.”
Him: “I think you should lead it.”
Me: “What? I can’t do that!”
Him: “Why not?”
Me: “Well for one, I’m graduating in less than a year.”
Him: “So. Pour yourself into it for a year and then pray for God to raise up someone else to take over when you leave.”
Me: “Hmmm …. I guess the thing I struggle with the most is that I still just see myself as a kid. I can’t take on a leadership position in a ministry at church. I’m too young.”
Him: (Giving me the look that says “You know what the Bible has to say about that!”) “One work: baloney. Ash, you’re not a kid anymore.”
----
Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.
~ 1 Timothy 4:12
That’s a verse I clung to during my high school ministry days and it’s one that I stand by now in my college ministry days.
----
So, 2 weeks ago I made a deal with God (ha!). If He wanted me to do this, the job vacancy would still have to be there when we met last Thursday. I was basically giving Him 2 weeks to find someone else to do it! Well, at the meeting the director announced that no one had volunteered to take over the ministry, so we needed to keep praying. Until someone volunteered, there would be no more meetings. It was then, that I got the “DO IT!” push. It changed from an invitation to a command (although the choice to disobey was still there … that’s the essence of the free-will God gives us).
The WMU ministry of the church I attend now has a 19 year old president. I’m pretty sure that’s a first for our church. :)
I’m excited about this new year. I’m planning on shaking some things up (I guess I’ll see if I’m trying to light wet wood). I’m going to be intentional about targeting actions towards some of the theories I have as to why a church with several hundred people in attendance every Sunday and a Great Commission push from the pulpit has 5 people in WMU. I’m going to give it my all and leave the results up to God. I’m sure I’ll be stretched and pulled as a result of this leadership position.
May it all be for His glory!
2 comments:
I am so excited for you!!! That verse was/is my daughters verse, too. She is 21. She clings to that verse when the world struggles to discount her service for Christ. And when she counts herself too you, lol. I grew up in a little church where my grandmother (my adopted mom) served as WMU president in our church. I admired her so much for the love for the Lord as she served. And what fun she had doing it. The church we are in now, and have been in for the last 21 years, does not have WMU and it saddens me greatly. I so long to be a part of that. Maybe in CO when we move our new church will have that.
I will be praying for you greatly daily as you shake things up and get those other younger women off their seats and on the road to serving and laughing together as women of Christ!
Love you bunches!!!
"Deals" can be dangerous~
Check out Jeremiah 1 when you get a chance - I don't know how many times I read verses 1-10 when I was your age~
XOXO
Post a Comment