Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer Happenings

This post will serve as a sort of “life update” for anyone interested ~

* This summer, I’ve taken a total of 5 ½ weeks off of school and work. I’m now down to 2 weeks left. I’ve immensely enjoyed the time away (though I’ve been quite busy). Sleeping late is by far my favorite part of summer – always has been! :)

* A close second in the “best part of summer” competition is reading … for fun! For some strange reason, textbooks don’t have the same allure. ;) I’m sure I’ve read no less than 1,000 pages in the past 3 weeks. Love it.

* I’m currently reading Radical: Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream by David Platt. It has taken me a while to get through it because it’s so darn convicting! I feel like Dr. Platt has put into words the stirring that’s been taking place in my heart in recent months – a challenge to seek more than a comfortable, stable life with all the “stuff” at the expense of radical devotion to Christ.

* It’s the end of VBS week at church. I’ve been working with 3rd and 4th graders all week and I am whooped. For the most part they’ve been a good group and we’ve had fun at Saddle Ridge Ranch.

* I’ve been amazed at how God used the lessons and music to minister to my own heart. His love knows no age limits.

* I had oral surgery last Friday to remove all four of my wisdom teeth. Ouch!

* I may or may not have used a VBS song to combat an attack from the enemy. But that’s a post for another day … ;)

* My best friend got engaged last night and the reality that we are no longer kids has hit me hard. She and I have been friends since the first day of 7th grade … and that’s been quite a few years! I guess we’re really adults now. Anyway, I could not be happier for her and her love. Starting today I’m working on my tan. :)

How’s your summer going?

2 comments:

Funderstorm said...

Sounds awesome.
LOVE leisure reading.
LOVE sleeping in.
LOVE VBS...missing it this year.
would LOVE to know the VBS combat that took place.
LOVE that your friend has found LOVE and that you can be joyful for her.
Have I ever seen you tan? LOL.

LOVE YOU!

Terri said...

Sleeping in is my kids FAVORITE summer activity! We have had a very busy summer, too. Glad to know you have some "down time". I taught 3/4 graders in two VBS's this summer. What a fun age!