
I struggle quite a bit with the disparity between the living conditions of other countries and those of the U.S.
Poverty is real.
Dying from preventable diseases is real.
Walking for miles to get water from a contaminated well is real.
Having no shelter is real.
Wondering what your children will eat for their next meal is real.
Having no hope of a life outside the vicious cycle of poverty is real.
I compare those harsh realities with what my life looks like here and the contrast is stark. And I don’t know what to do about it.
I spend a lot of time asking God how I’m supposed to live in light of these two very different realities. How do I recognize the things He has given as blessings, yet hold them loosely?
At the end of Radical, David Platt says:
“I also fear that in addressing unbiblical foundations inherent within the American dream, I have created the impression that every facet of the American dream is negative. This is certainly not the case. Though we have much to learn from our persecuted brothers and sisters in lands where there is no freedom, and though we have much to learn from impoverished brothers and sisters in lands where there are few resources, I am grateful to God for the freedom and resources he has given us in the United States. These gifts from God have certainly not been without cost, and if we did not have such freedoms and resources, many of the opportunities we have to take the gospel to the nations would simply not exist. The challenge before us, then, is to use the freedoms, resources, and opportunities God has entrusted to us for his purpose in the world, all the while remaining careful not to embrace ideas, values, and assumptions that contradict what God has said in his Word.” (p 214-215; emphasis mine)
Now that is quite the challenge!
Poverty is real.
Dying from preventable diseases is real.
Walking for miles to get water from a contaminated well is real.
Having no shelter is real.
Wondering what your children will eat for their next meal is real.
Having no hope of a life outside the vicious cycle of poverty is real.
I compare those harsh realities with what my life looks like here and the contrast is stark. And I don’t know what to do about it.
I spend a lot of time asking God how I’m supposed to live in light of these two very different realities. How do I recognize the things He has given as blessings, yet hold them loosely?
At the end of Radical, David Platt says:
“I also fear that in addressing unbiblical foundations inherent within the American dream, I have created the impression that every facet of the American dream is negative. This is certainly not the case. Though we have much to learn from our persecuted brothers and sisters in lands where there is no freedom, and though we have much to learn from impoverished brothers and sisters in lands where there are few resources, I am grateful to God for the freedom and resources he has given us in the United States. These gifts from God have certainly not been without cost, and if we did not have such freedoms and resources, many of the opportunities we have to take the gospel to the nations would simply not exist. The challenge before us, then, is to use the freedoms, resources, and opportunities God has entrusted to us for his purpose in the world, all the while remaining careful not to embrace ideas, values, and assumptions that contradict what God has said in his Word.” (p 214-215; emphasis mine)
Now that is quite the challenge!
2 comments:
Friend I know what you mean. I joke around that I can't understand why I couldn't have the "normal" life. But, the truth is, I had the "normal" life and this blog is exactly what happened. After working in Africa with women who have no running water and electricity, living in huts where infected mosquito's are swarming all around, and do not know about saving love of Jesus Christ, I came back to my "normal" life and could not sleep at night. We felt that God was asking if we would give it up. And the answer is absolutely!! Some people never feel that urge and those people are called to be missionaries right where they are at. But, some people are given a heart for the outer most ends of the earth. So, what will you do with it??
And BTW I am not trying to play the Holy Spirit, I'm just saying pray about it and pay attention as I know you are already are. I love your heart and therefore like to read your blogs.
-flea
The truth of the matter is that living among these you are speaking of and being from another culture doesn't make it any easier. You are automatically wealthy and therefore the source of their help...when in reality what you want to do is INTRODUCE them to the source of their help and be his instrument. It isn't such an easy task. But the very first step is awareness. Sensitivity to his Spirit. He is faithful and he knows the plans he has for you.
This book is on my must read list. Right now, I'm reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. Good one, too.
Post a Comment