Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Weekend Recap

I wish you all could see just how excited I am to write this post. I’ve read lots of your blogs where you post Weekend Recaps and I just love them. Generally speaking, though, my weekends aren’t anything really blog-worthy. Well that changed this weekend. As I was thinking back on the weekend and realized that I had indeed had a blog-worthy weekend, I was ecstatic! So without further ado …

Friday

Last Friday was my Friday off of work, so I went home at 11 once I was done with class. I got some work done and took a nice long 3 hour nap. I knew I would need that extra rest in order to enjoy myself Friday night (plus the first week back to school is always exhausting). The college group at church was having a movie/game night from 7:30-11:30 (yes … that’s p.m. ~ anyone who knows me knows that I don’t often stay out late … in fact, I’ve never even had a curfew – but that’s beside the point). I had invited a friend to go with me and she and I had an absolute blast. We played “murder in the dark” which is kinda like a mix of hide-and-go-seek and Mafia. Great fun! (Although I will admit a big church that was mostly dark can be a little scary!) Then around 10 we started the movie – Hoodwinked. One word: ha-larious! I laughed so hard. All in all, Friday night was great fun and I met lots of new people. It was my first act of obedience in reference to my new semester verse (Isaiah 43:18-19a).

Saturday

After getting to sleep sometime after 1 a.m. (too much excitement from the night before), I awoke early – we had hurricane preparation to do! Off to town we went for last minute necessities. Then it was back to the house to remove everything from the yard/porches that could potentially come flying through the windows. Saturday afternoon I headed off to the tailgate party and Saturday night was our first football game of the season. We won. Actually, we dominated. My best friend met me at the game so it was good to catch up with her while watching the game. After the game, it was back to the store for some forgotten items from that morning and to Sonic for a cherry coke (yum!).

Sunday

Act of obedience regarding semester verse #2 – I get myself up and go to Sunday School. Luckily I had a friend meeting me there so there was no “I’ll start going next Sunday …” under-the-covers conversation. (I speak from experience!) The Lord and I had a good long conversation about what I was about to do while I was getting ready. It’s weird how a silent house welcomes deep conversation with Christ. I told Him that I was praying in faith for Him to do “a new thing” like those verses talk about. If I had a penny for every time I quoted those verses to myself in the Sunday School hour I would be a rich girl. My best friend, who can read me like a book, knew I was nervous (and found humor in it), but she did her best to keep me talking (which I’m not quite sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing …) Anyway, Sunday morning was a success. I saw many of the same people from Friday night. I heard a phenomenal message, including a startling fact. The university I attend has enrollment somewhere around 12,000. Several churches called around getting the average Sunday School attendance of college students at every church in our town (regardless of denomination). On any given Sunday, there are around 400 college students in Sunday School … out of 12,000ish. Y’all that’s barely 3%. Wow! I was (and still am) shocked at that one.

Compared to the College Department, “big church” was nothing special. (Wow – I can’t believe I just typed those words …)

** Funny story – after church I talked to a friend of mine who is old enough to be my mother (truly … her son and I are 3 months apart) … anyway, she was asking if I had fun Friday night at church (her son was there too) and said that she was shocked that I was out of the house (she just loves to tease me). Then she admired my new look and asks “What is up with you, girl?” Here’s a piece of the conversation that took place after that:

Her: I didn’t see you when I came to sit down.

Me: Sunday School ran late.

Her: Blank stare – trying to figure out if I’m kidding or not.

Me: Yes … be shocked.

Her: Let me get this straight – you went out on Friday night AND you went to Sunday School this morning?

Me: Yes AND I went to the football game last night.

Her: (practically yelling) ARE YOU ON DRUGS????

Hahaha! I assured her I was not but that I was making some big changes this semester.

---

Sunday afternoon my parents and I went out to see my sister, brother-in-law, nephew, and niece. It was a good visit and the kiddos sure enjoyed having us play at their house.

Monday

Pretty much just a lazy day. I did some school work, but honestly wasn’t too antsy to do it, because I just knew school would be cancelled today (Tuesday) due to the hurricane. WRONG! Bummer.

I watched a movie and just enjoyed my last vacation day until Thanksgiving Break.

All in all, it was a great weekend - had lots of fun, made some memories, and above all, was obedient to Him when everything within me wanted me to dwell on the past and remember the former things.

4 comments:

Me said...

Hi Ashley! I saw your comment on my blog. I use Windows Paint. I think you can buy it but I'm not sure. :)

Your turn to answer my question: Where did you get your temp??? I LOVE it!!

redmaryjanes said...

Your weekend sounds wonderful! My kids love Hoodwinked. The goat is their favorite.

PandaMom said...

Thank you so much for very sweet words to me. It really blessed my heart! ; )

Terri said...

How fun to see your weekend!! You are a busy girl. Now, what is the new look? Did u post a pic and I missed it???