Friday, August 27, 2010

The Expanded Sphere of Influence

One of my main complaints about my "real" job is that I'm so secluded from people. On a regular basis, I have face-to-face contact with about 5 people at work. My office (that I share with 2 other graduate students) is small ... as in 6 steps from the door to the wall. Sometimes I just miss seeing people. So I asked God to change it - change the job ... change my attitude about it ... change something.

And He did.

This Fall semester my regular sphere of influence will include ~

* Being a student instructor for a freshman orientation program to help incoming students adjust to college life. I get the opportunity to pour into about 100 students each week in a large group setting and then a smaller number through small group break out sessions.

* About 3 weeks ago I started a temporary, part-time job that allows me to interact with lots (and lots!!) of customers who are mainly students. I love helping them find the books they need for classes. My face hurt yesterday from smiling at each customer and asking if they needed help. ;-)

* I am joining up with International Student Friendship Ministries through Chi Alpha to reach the international students who are studying at my university. There aren't enough words to share how pumped I am about this opportunity. I ran across this video on the ISFM website that explains it well:



As I was laying in bed the other night thinking about how different this Fall semester is going to look from past semesters, I couldn't help but see His fingerprints all over this "expanded sphere of influence." May I steward the opportunity well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll do well! And I'll add your new adventure to my prayer list. Keep us updated I want to hear all about it.
God is so good to us!!
Love-
flea

Funderstorm said...

Mercy. When they all started praying in their heart languages for their own people and for our people...I lost it. Tears streaming down my face. Thanks for sharing it and I know Father will use it mightily in your life.

Terri said...

That is amazing! Our church is starting a program called By Your Side and it is to partner up with an international student. Just to give them a place to come once or twice a month to just hang out, do laundry, have a good meal. Also to do family type stuff outside the home with and build relationships. I so want to do that but with N, not sure we can right now. Praying for you!!!!!!