Friday, August 27, 2010

The Expanded Sphere of Influence

One of my main complaints about my "real" job is that I'm so secluded from people. On a regular basis, I have face-to-face contact with about 5 people at work. My office (that I share with 2 other graduate students) is small ... as in 6 steps from the door to the wall. Sometimes I just miss seeing people. So I asked God to change it - change the job ... change my attitude about it ... change something.

And He did.

This Fall semester my regular sphere of influence will include ~

* Being a student instructor for a freshman orientation program to help incoming students adjust to college life. I get the opportunity to pour into about 100 students each week in a large group setting and then a smaller number through small group break out sessions.

* About 3 weeks ago I started a temporary, part-time job that allows me to interact with lots (and lots!!) of customers who are mainly students. I love helping them find the books they need for classes. My face hurt yesterday from smiling at each customer and asking if they needed help. ;-)

* I am joining up with International Student Friendship Ministries through Chi Alpha to reach the international students who are studying at my university. There aren't enough words to share how pumped I am about this opportunity. I ran across this video on the ISFM website that explains it well:



As I was laying in bed the other night thinking about how different this Fall semester is going to look from past semesters, I couldn't help but see His fingerprints all over this "expanded sphere of influence." May I steward the opportunity well.

No comments: