Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering. – Hebrews 13:3
Last weekend I had to opportunity to attend a conference put on by Voice of the Martyrs, a ministry that serves the persecuted church around the world. The speakers at this conference were men of God from all over the world who have faced persecution for their unwavering faith in Christ. These men grew up and live/lived in Pakistan, Ethiopia, China, and Israel. They have had family members killed because of their faith. They have been imprisoned. Beaten. Had food withheld. Disowned. All for the sake of Christ. Regardless of situation, all the speakers talked about the joy that comes with persecution. That’s a hard concept to grasp.
One of the banners hanging at the conference really stuck out to me. It said, “Faith comes with a cost. Fellowshipping with our persecuted family comes with a choice.” Choosing to make yourself aware of the realities around the world is just that – a CHOICE. You won’t hear about these types of things on the evening news. I don’t recall ever hearing it preached about in a sermon. It takes an effort to make yourself aware. For me, I’ve found that it’s far too easy to stay in my own safe little world and to block out all of those unpleasant things. But that’s not what I’m called to. So I seek out opportunities to learn about things that I know will make me uncomfortable, that will feel like my heart’s being ripped out, that will keep me awake at night, and that will draw me to my knees. It’s a “break my heart for what breaks Yours, Lord” kind of thing.(note: If you pray that … get ready!) There are lyrics that often come to mind when I’m in these types of situations or learning about what’s going on ~ Now that I have seen, I am responsible … (song: Albertine by Brooke Fraser). Ignorance is no excuse. I often ask “Okay, I’m aware … now what?” Faith without deeds is dead, people.
The words of the last song we sang were particularly poignant after hearing hours of testimony: I have decided to follow Jesus … no turning back, no turning back … Though none go with me, I still will follow.
2 comments:
Well said.
Truer than most people can begin to imagine.
You make me proud.
Want to do Hands On when you finish grad school?
Wow....you are an incredible young woman. You encourage me in my own walk. Thank you.
Post a Comment