Wow, I’m behind! Lots has been happening this summer and much more is planned. I’ll warn you up front, I have a feeling this post will be scattered. :)
Thus far this month I’ve been to a birthday celebration, a wedding, a graduation celebration, and my grandparents’ 60th wedding anniversary party on top of working full time.
Vacation Bible School is next week and Lord willing I’ll be in Asia this time in 2 WEEKS!!
Yesterday was my last day at work. For a variety of reasons, I’ve made the decision not to work for the remainder of the summer. There’s a possibility of me going back in the beginning of August, but if not, I’ll start a new job at the end of August. It’s been a good 3 years there, but I feel my time is done. Grad school is a new chapter in my life and I’m ready for a new challenge. It was a tad bit sad walking out of the office for what possibly was the last time. I found myself thinking yesterday as I left that I was not the same person I walked into that office as 3 years ago when I was just starting my college career. God has certainly done a good work.
In all honesty, the decision to leave now was kind of forced on me because I decided to not take the class I was signed up for in Summer 2. I knew when I signed up for the Asia trip that I’d miss the first day of class, but I figured I’d work hard to catch up when I got back. Up until about 10 days ago, that plan remained. Well, I spoke with my professor and had a copy of the syllabus sent to me. I never expected to see an essay exam scheduled for the second class day over the first day’s material. Such information sent me into a tail-spin. What to do? Do I cancel the trip to Asia? (this option was quickly thrown off the table) Do I change my trip dates and leave Asia early? Do I ask someone to sit in class for me and study like a mad woman through jet-lagged eyes when I returned? Who would sit in a 3 hour and 45 minute class for me? Do I drop the class and thus quit my job? What would I do with the rest of my summer? Would I go crazy with that much time off? Since taking at least one class is required for the classification of job I held, would I be paid for the month of work I had already completed? Would this decision impact future semesters of work? Welcome to just some of the thoughts that flooded my mind. ;)
After gathering the necessary information to make a decision and lots of prayer, I decided that the Asia trip was staying as-is (I’m so thankful I wrote out my thoughts and prayers and how God was leading as I struggled through the decision of whether or not to go on this trip. Those very words were used as a re-confirmation in this decision) and I’d be off the rest of the summer.
One immediate benefit of that decision was that I was able to sign-up to work in VBS – something that school has prevented me from doing for the past several summers. I have no clue what I’ll be doing, but I signed up with a “wherever you need me” attitude. I trust God can use that.
I want to pass along several prayer requests for the Asia trip. OUR plans have recently been changed, but HIS certainly haven’t. I’m eager to see what He has in store as a result. I can’t go into a lot of details, but I will ask you to pray about the following things:
* Safety while traveling (both internationally and within the country)
* The country I’m going to is extremely nervous about foreigners bringing in the Swine Flu, so they’ll be taking the temperature of everyone on the plane before we get off. If someone’s temperature is elevated, they have the option of quarantining the entire plane. I, obviously, am praying this doesn’t happen, but if it does, I’m trusting that God has divine appointments orchestrated through this.
* The hearts of those I’ll come into contact with
* That I’d be attentive to the Holy Spirit and His leadings
* Boldness when sharing
* That above all, HE would be glorified – in all that is said and done
If you’ll commit to praying for me in the days leading up to the trip and while I’m gone, please leave a comment so I’ll know. Thanks! :)
~ Ashley (the unemployed one!)
6 comments:
Congrats on the unemployment! I'll be praying about your trip. They took our temp too when we landed and we passed the test so maybe you will too!
Molly
Ashley ~ I will definitely be praying for you! Keep following His leading... He has never failed:).
ABSOLUTELY committed...already was. :)
I'll be praying for all of you! I think you will enjoy the well deserved time off and my mom thinks so too. She says you never make time for yourself to relax and she can understand why you are doing so. We love you and pray God's blessings over you!
Love- flea
Wow!! Sounds like have been dealing with quite a lot of decisions! I hope you have a wonderful time in Asia. Will you be seeing our friend while there?
I think that is GREAT! You have been in school doing so much year round for so long. Allow yourself a break! And enjoy VBS! How is that going? We are having VBS at our new church this week! It is great. Your safty and Gods will are in our prayers as you head for your trip! Give special hugs from me when you see them! I miss them and wish I had the opportunity to go with you!
Post a Comment